This morning, Crystal Research CEO Jeff Kraws spoke with Reuters' Rhonda Schaffler about winners and losers of today's landmark Supreme Court ruling upholding Obamacare's individual mandate. Mr. Kraws discussed specific stocks to watch as well as sector trends for healthcare insurers, hospitals, pharma and biotech companies, medical records, medical schools, generics, and medical device companies, among others.
The 7-minute segment, viewable below, aired at 11:45 a.m. on Thomson Reuters: Reuters Insider.
Click here for a transcript of the interview.
Tune in live at 11:45 am this morning to Reuters Insider for an overview of the landmark healthcare ruling and its impact on your investments....recap to follow here.
Winners & Losers in "Obamacare" ruling, Thomson Reuters: Reuters Insider
With a breakthrough treatment for spinal cord injuries poised to enter clinical development within a few short months, InVivo Therapeutics (NVIV-OTC) has been aggressively ramping up awareness of its technologies. The Company is now routinely featured on television news shows as well as at industry and investor conferences. In addition, InVivo raised $20 million in early 2012 to fund the continued development of its products and appointed former Stryker Spine, Inc. executive Robert Housler Jr. as vice president of business development in May 2012...moves further fueling a slew of recent positive press for the Company.
Targeting National Audiences
Just this week alone, InVivo profiled its innovative technology for healing spinal cord injuries in a live NYC interview for Fox & Friends on the Fox News Channel, in appearances on Jacksonville, Florida's FOX and CBS affiliates, and on San Diego, California's NBC affiliate.
Fox & Friends, June 24, 2012 (Click the image to route to the FOX News website)
Last week, the Company presented at Marcum LLP's MicroCap Conference in NYC, where CEO Frank Reynolds overviewed the Company's technology platforms for a gathering of institutional investors, mutual funds, hedge funds, wealth managers, and family offices. A live audio webcast of this presentation is available at http://execvid.com/marcum-microcap-conference-2012.
Targeting the Medical Community
Likewise, InVivo's Chief Science Officer, Dr. Ed Wirth, also made corporate presentations last week in Boston--at the Clinical Outlooks for Regenerative Medicine Conference. Dr. Wirth discussed neurodegenerative disease and spinal cord injury at this event, which was jointly organized by the Alliance for Regenerative Medicine and the Harvard Stem Cell Institute.
"Our biopolymer scaffolding device for the treatment of acute SCIs is poised to enter human clinical trials during the second half of 2012. We expect to submit hydrogel-based applications to the FDA for the treatments of SCI and chronic pain from peripheral nerve injuries later this year. During the first quarter of 2012, we strengthened our balance sheet by closing an oversubscribed $20mm+ public offering led by globally recognized health care investment institutions. In addition, we added key leadership to our management team to drive product development and commercialization." --Frank Reynolds, InVivo’s Chief Executive Officer
On June 21, 2012, Crystal Research issued a Quarterly Update on LRAD Corp. (LRAD-NASDAQ), a company developing and marketing acoustic hailing devices (AHD) that support the delivery and intelligibility of audio broadcasts over long ranges. The 12-page Update is available here.
- During the first six months of LRAD Corp.’s 2012 fiscal year (ended March 31), the Company reported revenues of $6 million versus $17.7 million for the corresponding 2011 timeframe (which included a $12.1 foreign military order). Law enforcement and public safety initiatives represented a significant portion of the Company’s sales during the first half FY 2012, helping the Company achieve breakeven results for the six-month period despite lower military sales.
- LRAD® systems have been used by law enforcement for various major public affairs, such as for the 2012 NATO summit in Chicago, and will be used for the upcoming 2012 Summer Olympics in London. These events have led to various publicity features for the Company’s systems, including the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, local news stations in major cities (e.g., Los Angeles and Chicago), as well as an AOL Digital Justice webisode.
- LRAD Corp. expects military sales to gain momentum in the second half as the U.S. government nears the end of its fiscal year (Sept. 30). Recently, the U.S. military placed orders for roughly $1.5 million in LRAD® systems and support equipment. The Company has completed and submitted its bid to the U.S. Navy’s Request for Proposal (RFP) for between 4 each and 1,300 small, medium, and large acoustic hailing devices over the next five years.
- LRAD Corp. continues to penetrate commercial security and wildlife and asset protection markets globally. In May 2012, the Company received a $1.7 million order for Asian maritime security.
- LRAD Corp. has also expanded its product line to include the LRAD 360X, which provides uniform 360-degree broadcasts in support of effectively delivering mass notifications and emergency warnings.
- As of March 31, 2012, LRAD Corp. had cash and cash equivalents of $13.9 million.
Greater information about LRAD Corp. and its product portfolio is provided in Crystal Research Associates' 64-page Executive Informational Overview (EIO) published February 13, 2012.
Follow Crystal Research on Facebook or Twitter to receive continuing updates on LRAD Corp.
New research available in our library at www.crystalra.com gives readers a complete description of the business of AtheroNova: its product development, milestones, competitive pressures, market opportunities, risks, and more. A 52-page report is available here, with future Quarterly Updates coming as AtheroNova advances this year.
AtheroNova Inc. (“AtheroNova” or “the Company”) is a biotechnology company focused on discovering, researching, developing, and licensing pharmaceuticals to reduce or eliminate atherosclerosis—a thickening of the arteries that occurs when fat, cholesterol, and other substances build up in the walls of the arteries and form hardened structures called plaque deposits. AtheroNova is researching patent-pending applications of bile salts (natural compounds that have been used previously to dissolve gallstones) to regress atherosclerotic plaques (atheromas) via a process called delipidization, which dissolves plaque in artery walls and removes it by natural body processes.
AHRO-001 to Reverse Plaque Deposits (Unclogging Arteries)
The Company’s most advanced compound, AHRO-001, is being developed as a breakthrough regression treatment of atherosclerotic plaque. Using a unique approach, AHRO-001 is intended to dissolve existing atherosclerotic plaques as well as prevent the formation of new ones. The Company seeks to market its product against currently approved therapies, which merely stabilize the disease. It is this potential for plaque regression that AtheroNova believes could distinguish AHRO-001 from other atherosclerosis treatments on the market and candidates in development.
Atherosclerosis is the primary cause of many cardiovascular diseases, including heart attack, stroke, and peripheral artery disease (PAD), with more money spent attempting to treat cardiovascular disease than any other disease or ailment. The condition is so prevalent that cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of morbidity, disability, and mortality in industrialized countries, with atherosclerosis being the primary fundamental pathology.
AtheroNova further seeks to employ its intellectual property in the development of multiple pharmaceutical-grade applications for its compounds, targeting obesity, hypertension, diabetes, PAD, localized transdermal fat dissolution, and the dissolutions of lipomas.
Continue reading here.