Crystal Research Associates has issued a 13-page Quarterly Update on clinical-stage biotechnology company, GeoVax Labs, Inc. (GOVX-NASDAQ).
Snapshot of GeoVax
GeoVax Labs, Inc. (“GeoVax” or “the Company”) is a clinical-stage biotechnology company developing preventive and therapeutic human vaccines and immunotherapies against infectious diseases and cancer. The Company recently significantly expanded its clinical stage portfolio through the in-licensing of two Phase 2 products/programs within SARS-CoV-2 and Head & Neck Cancer immunotherapy. The Company’s proprietary GV-MVA-VLP™ vector vaccine technology utilizes a Modified Vaccinia Ankara (MVA) vector, a large virus capable of carrying several vaccine antigens, which are expressed as non-infectious virus-like particles (VLPs) in the individual receiving the vaccine (in vivo). VLPs mimic a natural infection, stimulating both the humoral (antibody) and cellular (T-cells) arms of the immune system to recognize, prevent, and control the target infection through durable immune responses. In addition to the GV-MVA-VLP™ technology, the recent license of the SARS-CoV-2 vaccine (GEO/COH04S1) provides the Company a complementary technology, sMVA (synthetic MVA), and the license of Gedeptin® adds the GDEPT (Gene Directed Enzyme Prodrug Therapy) technology to the GeoVax technology platform portfolio. GeoVax is capitalizing on these technologies and its vaccine/immunotherapy design expertise to address the need for a broadly-effective COVID-19 vaccine and is also developing vaccines against human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), Zika virus (ZIKV), hemorrhagic fever (HF) viruses (Ebola, Sudan, Marburg, and Lassa Fever), and malaria, while also applying its MVA-VLP technology to cancer immunotherapy (immuno-oncology)
- On November 11, 2021, GeoVax announced financial results from the quarter ended September 30, 2021 and provided a corporate update. For the three months ended September 30, 2021, the Company’s net loss was $1,950,503 ($0.31 per share) versus a net loss of $570,648 ($0.73 per share) for the same period in 2020. For the nine months ended September 30, 2021, GeoVax’s net loss was $4,827,314 ($0.80 per share) versus a net loss of $1,621,546 ($2.85 per share) in 2020.
- Revenues from grants and collaborations were $30,414 and $220,539 for the three-month and nine-month periods ended September 30, 2021, respectively, versus $415,458 and $1,572,037 in the equal periods of 2020. As of September 30, 2021, $244,888 of funds were available for use related to a COVID-19 grant from NIAID and a Lassa Fever grant from the U.S. Army.
- Earlier this month, the Company announced that it had entered into an exclusive license agreement with City of Hope (“COH”), granting GeoVax exclusive rights to further develop and commercialize COH04S1, a synthetic, attenuated modified vaccinia Ankara (sMVA) vector expressing spike (S) and nucleocapsid (N) antigens of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which shows potential to be used in the general population as a primary and/or general booster vaccine against COVID-19 worldwide. COH04S1 is currently in a Phase 2 clinical trial in immunocompromised patients.
- In September 2021, GeoVax entered into an Assignment and License Agreement with PNP Therapeutics, Inc., granting GeoVax exclusive rights to develop and commercialize Gedeptin® treat solid tumors, currently in a Phase 1/2 clinical trial for head and neck squamous cell carcinomas (HNSCC).
- GeoVax continues to strengthen its intellectual property portfolio, with over 70 granted or pending patent applications across 20 patent families. In October 2021, the Company announced that the USPTO has issued a Notice of Allowance for Patent Application No. 15/543,139 entitled “Replication-Deficient Modified Vaccinia Ankara (MVA) Expressing Ebola Virus Glycoprotein (GP) and Matrix Protein (VP40).” As well, on November 16, 2021, GeoVax announced that the USPTO has issued a Notice of Allowance for Patent Application No. 16/068,527 entitled “Compositions and Methods for Generating an Immune Response to a Tumor Associated Antigen.”
- At September 30, 2021, GeoVax’s cash balance was $18.1 million versus $9.9 million at December 31, 2020.
for the latest research on GeoVax Labs, Inc.